Sunday, October 28, 2012

Mary's First Communion


Milestones are a part of everyone's life. The memorable markers of growth, passage and change bring a sense of nostalgia to young and old alike.

Things like white lace, rosaries, veils, family parties, cakes and pictures are all part of the ritual surrounding a 1st Communion. Twenty-one years ago our daughter celebrated her First Communion and it came with a story I'll always remember.

I was delighted and excited to be the parent of a 2nd grader that would soon be receiving Our Lord in Holy Communion for the first time. As I talked with Mary Rose about this big event in her life, I recalled how thrilled I was many years before to present her for baptism into the Catholic Church when she was only six weeks old. On her Baptism day she wore a pretty white dress with a miraculous medal on a chain around her baby neck. I felt I was presenting her to the Lord and asking for his special blessing upon her. Now 7 years later I was again bringing her to the Lord and this time letting her walk up to the Lord herself and welcome Him into her life.

As part of the preparation, I asked Mary Rose how she'd like to dress for her special day. I wondered if she wanted to wear a veil, or flowers in her hair and what kind of dress did she want us to buy. I so fondly remember these same discussions surrounding my First Communion so I was not prepared for Mary Rose's response that she "hated dresses" and wouldn't wear one. A sudden panic did arise in me and some horror at what the alternative might be in my little girl's mind. I had visions of white stretch pants and a big T-shirt, certainly not my idea of appropriate attire. I'm pleased to say I stayed outwardly calm though and planned carefully my next move.

I pulled out pictures of Mary Rose's big sister, Beth's First Communion, also, the dress and veil for "hands on"discussion. I explained that all girls dress up special for this day.

A few weeks went by and I dared not discuss "dresses." I only hoped that Mary Rose would come around to the idea.

Finally it was time to go shopping for First Communion clothes. I had decided by this time that probably simplicity in style was the safest way to go. However, once again Mom was thrown off balance. Mary Rose picked out the laciest, most ruffled, gorgeous dress I had ever seen and a veil to go along with it. I was ecstatic.

Professional First Communion pictures were being taken at church a month before First Communion so we had the opportunity for dress rehearsal. On picture day I curled Mary Rose's hair (first time ever) and She wore a pearl, rosary bracelet and dotted Swiss tights with white patent leather shoes. Mary Rose was transformed into the most delicate, angelic, gorgeous little girl I had ever set eyes on.


Picture taking only took about five minutes, so I decided to take my little treasure and show her off to one of my co-workers. Philly, Daddy Rex and I stood beaming with pride at this beautiful little daughter of ours as I made the introductions. Philly, Rex and I raved over this little girl standing quietly before us and then with all eyes focused on Mary Rose, Philly stooped over and asked Mary Rose "how do you feel all dressed up so pretty?" Out of that little bitty mouth came the two single words "like hell." I think the shocked gasps of her parents could have been heard up and down the hallways and the looks on our faces could have won a Pulitzer Prize.  Philly, the professional counselor that she is, recovered the quickest and proceeded to ask Mary Rose "what does it feel like to feel like hell?" Mary Rose took the edge of her lacy dress and swirled it gracefully in the air explaining that she didn't like dresses.

By this time, Mom and Dad were starting to rally from the shock and it was becoming extraordinarily funny as to how perfectly Mary Rose had expressed herself. I was delighted that Mary Rose felt so free to express her feelings and at the same time accept the lace and ruffles associated with this milestone.

Once in the car I asked Rex how he felt when she said "that". He replied that he was shocked and mortified. I was thinking, isn't that what happens to parents sometimes along the journey?

Mary is now a lovely, married mother of two adorable little girls. Mary wore a gorgeous white gown and veil for her wedding. She looked as beautiful and angelic as she did on First Communion picture day those many years ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment