Thursday, October 4, 2012

Dressed in Blue for the Blessed Mother


When my three-year -old son needed surgery, I was worried how to take care of his older sister and nursing baby brother, and still give all my attention to Paul. After considering all options it was decided that my husband would take Paul for his surgery while I stayed home with the other two children. This decision broke my heart, as I wanted to be at my son’s side to love and care for him, even though it was called "minor" surgery by his pediatric physician.

The day before the surgery I had an idea. I dressed Paul in a “Blessed Mother” blue shirt

and took him over to the chapel of our parish church. We knelt in front of the Blessed Sacrament in the Tabernacle, and I silently presented him to our Mother Mary. I asked her to be with Paul just as I would want to be there with him. I asked her to hold his hand and take care of him in every way I would have done. I told no one what I had done, not even Paul.


Early the next morning, Paul and his dad headed off to the hospital. I stayed home, lit a blessed candle and started my hours of praying for my beloved little son. Later in the afternoon, Paul and his dad returned home. I was quick to hold Paul and be reassured that he was well. As I cuddled him I told him I so much wanted to be with him but since I couldn't  I asked the Blessed Mother to be with him. To my great surprise Paul said, “I know”. Stunned, I asked him to explain. He said “Daddy held my hand, the nurse held my hand, and the Blessed Mother held my hand”.


A few years later, while in first grade at our large parish school, Paul was chosen to place the ringlet of flowers on the statue of the Blessed Mother at May Crowning. I still smile because I know she continues to watch over him even now as a thirty-plus year-old adult.


Hail Mary, full of grace. The Lord is with thee.

Blessed art thou amongst women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death. Amen

2 comments:

  1. I have a big smile on my face, goose bumps up and down my body, and little tears in my eyes. How faithful you are, Rita. :)

    Hugs!
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Stephanie. I'm so happy you are reading and enjoying my posts. ((Hugs))
    Rita

    ReplyDelete