Saturday, October 6, 2012

Easter Vigil and the Lady Who Fell Down

A few years ago the Easter Vigil mass was an extra special event as my future daughter in law was becoming Catholic. It had been a long time dream for her and her excitement spilled out on our whole family.
Since my husband, Rex, was one of the Deacons participating in the mass we had arrived early at the church. 


A few families were already there claiming the coveted front rows and aisle seats.  Another lady was standing in the sanctuary handing out the candles for the congregation as they arrived.  I knew the church would be filling up fast so I took my unlit candle and scanned the darkened church to see where I might find a row for our family.


As I entered the church, I decided to head off to the left side where there were some seats available and the third row was still empty.  Glancing that way, I was briefly distracted. Suddenly, without warning,  there was a large "splat"  that drew my attention.  There on the floor  was sprawled a sweet middle aged lady.  Her legs were splayed through her lovely floral skirt, her silvery high heels kicked off in various directions, her designer glasses across the aisle and her cocktail purse all but dumped on the floor. 


I don't know how long she was there but three men came running to her aid out of nowhere.  They bent down and asked "are you alright"?? I looked at them and said "I'm fine and I didn't even break my candle".


They helped me up and I gathered my shoes as one of the men handed me my glasses.  I stooped over to pick up my scattered shoes and said "I think I'll just go over here (to the pew) and regroup". In the pew, I put on both shoes, my glasses, rearranged my purse and straightened up my skewed clothing.  With great humility and any pride squelched, I pulled up what dignity remained and slowly stood up. I quickly looked around to see if anyone else had witnessed the Deacon's wife falling flat on her face in her Easter finery!  Only one lady that I recognized was looking my way so I was hopeful that this event was quickly forgotten.
As I gracefully glided into my chosen pew, third row from the front, I was surprised to see the lights in the church come on.  Usually everything stays dark until the Easter candle is processed in.  I was grateful that lights were now on as it would help others to see their way into the church. 


Mass was lovely as was the reception following.  Back at home, late that night, I queried my husband if he had heard about the lady that had fallen down in church.  He said that an usher came back and said something about it and that the light should probably be turned on. I asked Rex if he heard anything about who the lady was that had fallen down.  To my great relief he hadn't heard so I felt safe that I hadn't become the talk of the sacristy that night! 

No comments:

Post a Comment